Our vision is to ‘improve lives, enhance communities’ and aim to ‘make a positive difference for all through sport, physical activity and learning’. We have developed a strong track record of delivering high quality community-based initiatives and services.
Our work focuses on three priority areas: Health & Wellbeing, Learning & Skills, and Social Inclusion, alongside a core theme of work in Football and Sports Development. These are all underpinned by our promise to deliver accessible opportunities.
Summary of your role:
Are you an enthusiastic, motivated, and committed individual with high standards and a strong work ethic? If so, then you may be the person we are looking for.
We are looking for someone who has a good understanding of how to develop projects which support our strategic objectives and meet local priorities, therefore be expected to work with a range of partners across the public, private and voluntary sector, to enhance our current activities, as well as potentially start new health and wellbeing initiatives.
You will be responsible for the strategic development of the Trust’s health and wellbeing provision. You will manage a team of staff and oversee the delivery of our current projects and programmes.
You will be a key decision maker and strategic thinker, working closely with the senior leadership team to help shape the future direction and sustainability of the Trust.
Your key responsibilities, but not limited to:
- To drive the strategic direction of the Trust’s Health and Wellbeing provision.
- Work with partners, key stakeholders, and external agencies (public, private and voluntary sector) at a senior level to implement new health and wellbeing initiatives which meet the Trust’s strategic objectives, as well as supporting local health and wellbeing priorities.
- To take a pro-active role as part of the senior leadership team.
- Use appropriate internal and external resources (e.g., strategic documents, government papers, etc.) to gather evidence which helps shape targeted delivery in the future.
- Take responsibility for the overall management of programmes, liaising with partners throughout the lifetime of projects/initiatives (attending meetings, etc.).
- Set appropriate budgets (with relevant staff) and oversee, manage, and monitor these, to ensure the targets are achieved.
- Lead, manage, support, and develop all staff reporting to you. This may include managing staff from a distance if they are based at external locations.
- Conduct appraisals for all staff you line manage, as per the appraisal process and ensure that where relevant managers/staff are completing appraisals with staff they manage.
- Identify and submit relevant grants, funding applications, and tenders/bids for commissioned work in order to support ongoing programme delivery and sustainability.
- Deliver activities in partnership with funders and sponsors and meet all obligations in respect of grant-based funding and sponsorship.
You Must Have:
- Significant experience of working at a senior management / leadership level in the health and wellbeing sector and involvement in strategic groups.
- Extensive operational knowledge of the health and fitness sector and an understanding of behaviour change interventions.
- Proven experience of line managing and developing full and part time staff..
- Experience of Project management.
- Proven experience of contract management.
- Success in building relationships both internally and externally and working collaboratively with a range of partners.
- A good understanding of the national government agenda relating to health and wellbeing.
- Proven experience setting and managing budgets.
- A proven track record of securing funding for health-related projects or initiatives.
- A full and valid UK Driving Licence, as well as access to a vehicle for work.
- A passion to make a difference using the power of sport, physical activity, and learning.
- Ability to create a strong team culture by leading, managing, developing, supporting, and motivating a team of staff and volunteers.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills – both verbal and written.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure, meet deadlines and have an attention to detail.
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude, always looking for solutions to problems or issues.
- Have a flexible approach to work and be able to work unsociable hours (including some evenings and weekends).
You would ideally have, but not vital:
- Minimum Level 3 Personal Trainer Qualification and GP referral Qualification.
- Knowledge and understanding of the health priorities across Hertfordshire and Harrow.
- Educated to Degree Level – Health and Fitness Related.
- Experience of putting together service level agreements/contracts for project partners.
- Experience of using IT systems to monitor and evaluate the delivery of projects, activities, and events.
- Experience of event management.
What is in it for you?
- Chance to join an award-winning charity and work alongside colleagues who are determined to utilise the positive power of sport, physical activity and learning for social good.
- Friendly working environment
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Investors in People accreditation
- Opportunity to benefit from a range of training and development opportunities
- Free gym usage at our two Community Centres
- Flexible working environment
- 25 days of Annual Leave entitlement plus bank holiday’s
- Trust pension scheme
We are dedicated to fostering a diverse and dynamic working environment by building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more wide-ranging we are, the better our work will be.
We are committed to Safeguarding children and adults at risk. The necessary Disclosure and Barring Service check will apply to this post.
- If you would like to work at Watford FC’s Community Sports & Education Trust as the Head of Health & Wellbeing, download an application form and a copy of the full job profile located on this page.
- Please send a fully completed application form and application form to email@example.com or by post to HR Admin, Watford FC, Vicarage Road Stadium, Vicarage Road, Watford, WD18 0ER.
- If you are invited for an interview, copies of all relevant qualifications, and a copy of your proof of right to work in the UK will be needed on the day.
- If you require any further information or wish to discuss the opportunity, please contact HR Admin at firstname.lastname@example.org